Monday, December 22, 2008

On naming my blog

I had to choose something that would describe me today, tomorrow, next week, next year. It had to encapsulate who I was, is part of who I am with very little chance of ever changing so it would always remain relevant and I wouldn’t trap myself into maintaining an image or behaviour which I no longer wanted. So that left me with two things. First – my love for my girlfriend. Now I know that’s sweet and all but she’s kinda shy and probably wouldn’t like me calling this blog “ShannyLover”. I know, I tried. And so I tried for something more coupley, like “Shazanne”, our couple name. But then it dawned on me. What’s one thing about me that is more certain than Friday night drinks, Juicy Fruit gum losing its taste in 10 seconds and Nacho Sunday?

It’s the simple fact that without fail, every single night my body comes to a screaming halt and I struggle to keep my eyes open beyond 9.15pm. How do I know it’s 9.15pm every night? Because every night I manage to get to the climax of my favourite crime shows like CSI, NCIS and Criminal Minds and the excitement becomes too much and I blink my eyes heavily only to wake up with my girlfriend shaking me gently telling me “it’s 10.30 baby, time to go to bed.” And I realise that my disability, which has haunted me since birth, has once again precluded me from seeing the end. And every morning following Shan obliges me and tells me how it ends. I’ve begged for a hard disk recorder but I think she secretly enjoys me hanging on her every word in the morning as she tries to remember all the details of an elaborate ending that I just did not pick.

Shan and I have a big year planned. By the end of August 2009 we'll have left our home in Brisbane and taken up residence in my girlfriend's favourite city, Vancouver. So this blog is to document our adventures in Brisbane before we leave, our travels to Canada and whatever comes after it.

2 comments:

  1. Love the title of your blog... I wish I would have thought harder on what ours could be. Up until last month it would have been, "Just hit snooze one more time" :)
    We wish you the best of luck on your move from Brisbane to Vancouver - what an adventure it will be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both so much. Chris and I are amazed by the support from everyone, near and far.

    Wishing you all the best this holiday season!
    Paul, Chris and Kensington Grace

    ReplyDelete

Time in Vancouver:

 
hit counter html code
html hit counter code