Wednesday, April 22, 2009

study, study, study, study, study, study, study

I study a Bachelor of Communications (majoring in Journalism) externally/online. It is a Griffith University degree facilitated by Open Universities Australia. Considering bills and plans involving relocation to Vancouver, the flexibility of online study is wonderful. If I keep up my current study schedule I will finish my degree before I am 30 – oh to finally have a degree! (and possibly not be a secretary anymore but I will save my rant about the soul destroying qualities of admin for another day… let’s just say sometimes I’d like to strangle myself with my cordless headset).

I don’t know what I want from this degree in terms of career, it is really an exercise in personal development, a chance to improve my critical thinking and writing skills, a chance to learn and grow. So with the somewhat vague goal of “development” in mind, my plan is just to do as well as I can. I admit though, I’m pretty tough on myself and sometimes I feel my best is not good enough. My own worst critic and all that…

I’ve studied for almost six months now. I have enjoyed the content of my subjects (I’m studying a rad Gender subject at the moment) however, the schedule is really intense: before the end of this month I have two assignments and one exam due, then next month I have two exams and one assignment due. In addition, we don’t have any holiday breaks and our exam weeks overlap with the first week of our next study period. The pressure really is on, and some days after work I don’t feel like reading journal articles or researching an assignment, but then I think of some of my classmates who are mothers with babies or who are living in remote parts of Asia (for reals!) and I think: if they can manage to do it, then so can I.

Motivating myself is one thing, but apparently extracting a clear and helpful response from tutors is another… Studying online means interaction with classmates and tutors takes place via discussion boards and forums. Generally this is an ok arrangement, however recently my classmates and I have requested guidance for our assignment and we’ve received responses as clear as mud. It seems we’re all getting ambiguous answers or three word sentences in return to our carefully worded questions, which has inspired one of my classmates to write this note to our tutors on the discussion board:

“I’m cool to have relaxed tutors and I think you’re both great guys, but if you’re going to respond with vague answers then I expect some leeway and generous marking.”

If we were studying full time and could visit with our tutors or talk with our classmates face-to-face we would probably not have this problem (and not feel so helpless/out of our depth/dumb). It’s a bit frustrating, especially when we (external students) pay the same amount of money to complete our degree as those who are full time and have the benefit of face-to-face interaction, not to mention all of those resources!

Oh well, in the words of my Mum, we can only do our best.
Shan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time in Vancouver:

 
hit counter html code
html hit counter code