Thursday, March 12, 2009

and they could never tear us apart

My brother was married last weekend (and it has taken me all week to sit down and write about it! I blame work and uni but I’ll save that post for another day). Kris is the first of us to be married; it was exciting and odd at the same time. Odd mostly because marriage is for grown ups. Odd also because the Bride’s family outnumbered us by 12 tables to 1.

I’m so proud of Kris, he went through some tough times for a while there and it is lovely to see him now happy and living life on his terms. He is a real bloke, our Kris: a bloke excited by the Groomsmen’s converse high tops and the classic wedding car, a bloke who forgets to thank his new wife in his wedding speech!

For me, it was a day for dress ups and spending time with my family and my brothers’ friends. My brothers share the same group of friends, I haven’t seen many of them for years (I was travelling, and they now spend their time in places other than my Mum’s house) and it was great to catch up with the adult versions of those crazy kids.

The highlight though was my Mum and her speech… My Mum was anxious for weeks over that speech but she nailed it! She almost broke down part-way through, her hands started shaking and the tears almost came, but she got through it and it was, by far, the speech of the night. Woohoo!

The runner-up highlight was my grandparents being so incredibly accepting of Zanne and I (without explanation even!). Not to mention my brothers’ friends exclaiming “your sister’s Mrs is hot!”.

I have to admit though, while I enjoyed Kris’s wedding, I found myself thinking “if this were my wedding…”. There was a time when I would never have considered a wedding of my own, but that was before I was madly in love *blush*. And speaking of Zanne… We had responsibility of our nephew Noah on the day (his parents were part of the wedding party), and I swear every time I looked across the room at Zanne and Noah talking together, or playing in the grass, or dancing, or doing whatever, my heart melted a little bit more. Does anyone else hear Lionel Richie? He’s singing “Endless Love”. No? It must be just me.

Congratulations to Kris and Shana: “may you grow old together, sharing the same pillow”.

Shan





1 comment:

  1. That is sooo sweet! I just love those pictures. I know how you feel. I never thought of marriage and having a baby until I met Holly and now look at us - 6 years later, married and hopefully a baby on the way.

    Being in love changes everything!

    ReplyDelete

Time in Vancouver:

 
hit counter html code
html hit counter code