Friday, March 20, 2009

I don’t like Mondays

Today is Friday and I’m relieved. Relieved because I’m looking forward to two happy days at home with my love; relieved because we’re another week closer to our Vancouver relocation (155 days to go!). The thing is, I don’t like my job much. At first the lack of challenge was a novelty, but now it has become a challenge in its own right! I’m bored and frustrated. Previously I was a legal secretary for 3 lawyers and had control of my own workload, which included dealing with multiple,simultaneous deadlines and producing complex legal documents, etc… I’m lucky if I write one letter a day here. And if I were to write a letter it would be after one of my Officers explained their self-explanatory handwritten notes to my Coordinator who then explained them to me. Everything is convoluted and inefficient here. Gah. I shouldn’t complain though, I’m well paid and my job is secure. Damn the current economic climate! I was made redundant from said previous job at the end of last year and as a result, job security currently ranks higher than job satisfaction for me - which doesn't mean I won't whinge about my lack of job satisfaction!

So anyways, to pass the time while I’m at work (and to help pretend that I’m not at work!) I do a lot of daydreaming. I daydream about Zanne: hanging out with, planning secret dates for, moving to Vancouver with, marrying, having babies with, owning a home with – you get the idea. I daydream about screen printing and establishing our business and writing a film and finishing my degree and my fabulous future jobs and word plays and my family and being a part of a book club and winning the lottery and Vancouver (always Vancouver!). I read the news and study and do research and complete the weekly tasks for each of my uni subjects. I listen to music and google lyrics and write blogs… I do all of this daydreaming, etc and still manage to complete my work. I’d like to say this is due to my wonderful ability to multi-task, but really it’s just an indication of how light my workload is.

Shan

PS.

The above brings to mind an Ani Difranco lyric: “my distraction is my defense against this lack of inspiration”.

Just quietly, I anticipate the other side of the weekend will bring a different lyric to mind: “Tell me Why? I don’t like Mondays”.

1 comment:

Time in Vancouver:

 
hit counter html code
html hit counter code