Thursday, June 25, 2009

Hottest 100 of all time

My fave radio station, Triple J, is celebrating 20 years of the Hottest 100. Each year on 26 January (which also happens to be Australia Day AND Zanne's birthday), having submitted our nominations, we enjoy day-long bbqs and a countdown of the Hottest 100 songs from the previous year – well, all the cool people do! The top ten in particular is often controversial (don't even talk to me about 1998's Number 1!) but, after a day of good times, that part of the countdown is sometimes a little sketchy anyways.

(read the Hottest 100 archive here)

So, in honour of this 20th anniversary Triple J is now asking us to nominate our Hottest 100 of all time. What the? That’s like asking me to nominate my favourite child! How can I choose between The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Crowded House, The Rolling Stones, Elton John, Bruce Springsteen, James Taylor, Stevie Wonder, Janis Joplin, Bob Marley, Simon and Garfunkel, Leonard Cohen, The Doors, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Michael Jackson, Tegan and Sara, Ani Di Franco, Hole, Alanis Morissette, The Distillers, Nirvana or The Ramones? I can’t do it, it makes my head hurt.

Most people are not as ridiculous as I am though, and many have nominated their top ten favourite songs of all time. Check out some Top Tens here, courtesy of some Triple J peeps and their rock n roll friends. What are your top ten songs of all time?? Just wondering.

Shan

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm that is a hard one... based on the list of artists you provided... I would say - Janis Joplin, Bobby Mcgee. I also love all of the Ramones songs. Oh and Alanis Morissette is fantastic! To be honest... I can't pick a top 100 either. This is just too hard! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Time in Vancouver:

 
hit counter html code
html hit counter code