Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Why can't it only be one week away?

I've been wanting to blog for several days but kept thinking nothing much was happening, nothing worth blogging about. But really, I think there's just so much going on that I've kinda stopped thinking about everything too much and have just been enjoying floating along as we coast through our last couple of months in Brisbane.

As of this moment, we have 53 days, 20 hours and 48 minutes until our plane leaves Australia and we begin the next stage of our lives in Vancouver. The closer we move to the fly out date, the more excited Shan and I become. Sometimes I find myself giggling with excitement. Then Shan giggles. Then we say things like "If only it were 1 week left instead of 8!" or "I can't wait til we get there and we get our matching tattoos and we buy new sneakers and and and!"

Feeling kinda overwhelmed with all the things we needed to do before we leave, Shan put together a totally kick-ass calendar and to-do list. And so far we've stuck to it and things are getting ticked off everyday. Here's just some of the stuff we've managed to get done in the last couple of weeks:

I have my new passport and have applied for my canadian visa. Fingers crossed it comes through in time. Also found out we need a US visa as we're traveling through LAX.

We went and had our eyes checked and found out we both need glasses - Shan's for reading, mine for long distance. With our insurance and an extra 20% discount from my cool optometrist friend Andy, we ended up only paying about $160 for 4 pairs of reading glasses, all with non-reflective coatings. Stay tuned for photos after we pick them up on Thursday.

Shan gets her eyes tested
Andy the Optometrist - fierce!
We celebrated my dad's birthday, Shan's mum's birthday and my sister Sally's baby shower. Sally is due in about 5 weeks and will bring into the family our first niece/granddaughter. My older sister Liz is stuck on "boy" and has already given us four awesome little guys, and Shan has baby Noah on her side, so everyone is excited to have a new little girl in the family. We've told Sally the new baby is still getting a hockey jersey for Christmas!

I went back to the dentist to get started on the 6 fillings I need and the dentist decided to start my root canal instead. It's great, cos I've been having trouble with that tooth for about 6 months, but no one likes going to the dentist that much. Two more sessions for that tooth and then I can move onto the fillings. It sounds like my teeth are awful, but they're really not! really!

On Saturday, Shan sat for another 3.5 hours for her half sleeve tattoo and now it's almost all done. She's such a tuffy! The only way I could ever tell she was in pain was when she closed her eyes tight. Otherwise she doesn't make a sound. It makes me glad she's the one having our babies and not me.

On Sunday, our WONDERFUL friends threw us the cutest, most lovely engagement champagne breakfast. Our good friend Gem arranged it all and she and Elleni did all of the cooking. Kristen helped with the scrambled eggs and Milena and I took care of the BBQ. Gem had dressed the table and even printed out menus and had them laminated. She's too cute! Thanks to all the girls for making it such a special morning. We're going to miss you peeps!

With a gift from Kristen (an engagement photoshoot - sweet!)
The 'boys' at the bbq.

This weekend we're going to Bundaberg to visit Shan's gramps and the following week I'm going to Sydney with my dad to visit his mum. I've already had enough of 'goodbyes' and it's only just beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time in Vancouver:

 
hit counter html code
html hit counter code