Monday, July 20, 2009

recent conversations (the short versions)

Convo # 1

I was on the train recently after work. I sat next to a guy who immediately said: "Hey, you work at the 3 Mobile store right?". I said no, he must be thinking of someone else.

Because he seemed embarassed about mistaking me for someone else, because I only have three stops to travel on the train and because I'm too polite, I entered into chit chat with him... right up until:

Dude: "What are you up to tonight?"

Me: "I'm meeting my girlfriend then we're catching up with friends for dinner"

Dude: "What do you mean "girlfriend"? Are you gay?"

Me: "Yep"

Dude: "Oh man, this is impossible - you're an angel! Are you telling me you've never been with a man?!"

Me: "What??! Well, have you ever been with a man?"

Dude: "Me? No way, this is impossible - I would rather die!"

Me: "Same here"

Dude: "So..."

Me: "Dude, these are really personal questions"

Dude: "Oh, I'm sorry. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend"

This conversation caused me all kinds of upset, for obvious reasons. Such inappropriate questions! And on a crowded, peak-hour train no less! And I was upset with myself for being so polite. I could have said I was straight I suppose... but every part of me resists that idea. I'm ok with being gay (and grateful and proud!), even if w*nkers on the train are not. But it still p*ssed me off, and I was cranky all evening.

Convo # 2

The other night we were asked whether, when we decide to start a family, we'll do it the natural way and have sex with a man. WTF??

Convo # 3

Lastly, a positive conversation...

My stepdad is a diesel mechanic, he's a real bloke. He rides a motorbike, shaves his head and has full sleeve tattoos (he might look scary but he wouldn't hurt a fly!). Him and his workmates were in the lunchroom recently and some of the guys were choosing a channel to watch on the tv. They came across Ellen's talkshow and one guy called out that he "didn't want to watch that lezzo b*tch".

My stepdad, Nev, in front of everyone, confronted the guy: "have you got a problem with lesbians?"

The guy: "Yeah, and I hate when they rub it in your face"

Nev: "My daughters are lesbians, and if you've got a problem with them, you've got a problem with me"

The guy: (backpeddling) "Oh, I'm sorry mate, I didn't mean anything by it. Sorry Nev"

The guy also privately apologised to Nev later in the day.

This story makes me smile. I can just imagine Nev, this big bloke, proudly saying "have you got a problem with lesbians?". He didn't have to say anything to the guy of course, he could have let it go. But he did say something, and that's awesome. Imagine standing up to a bloke in front of a room full of other blokes and defending Ellen and all lesbians everywhere - so cool! Maybe that guy will think twice before he announces his homophobia in the future (and for better reasons than fearing confrontation with my scary-looking Stepdad).

PS. Note that Nev said "my daughters" - aw!


Shan

1 comment:

  1. Awww great story about your stepdad!

    I had a conversation similar to your first one recently and it creeped me out too. Since we've lived in New Orleans, men seem to think they can try to pick up me AND my girlfriend...I don't understand the way people think, really.

    ReplyDelete

Time in Vancouver:

 
hit counter html code
html hit counter code